Today's Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge topic is the Key to Happiness.
For this City Girl, the key to happiness is choosing to be happy. That's right, I said it! Trust me, I suffer with skin lesions, joint and tendon pain, as well as crippling fatigue, just like you. I also suffer from anxiety from time to time and some of those times, the blues.
What is there to be happy about psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, you ask?
I'll tell you some of the things that help me:
1. Living in the city means we see devastating poverty every day, whether from drug abuse, illness or circumstance. Every day I wake up, I am grateful for the air in my lungs and that I am still physically able to work at a job I enjoy;
2. From reading posts from my fellow #spoonies on social media, I realize many folks do not have access to expensive biologic mediations or whose symptoms present worse than mine. Knowing this, it is hard for me to get angry about my own disease;
3. Cancer runs in my family on both sides. As I write you here, someone I love is in a fierce battle. There is always someone who has it worse than I do;
4. Life is just more fun when I can find things to laugh about. I find that complaining only keeps me down; and
5. God did not give me this big smile without intending me to use it!
Check out #HAWMC on Twitter to read what other Health Activists have to say about the Key to Happiness. Until tomorrow.